Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Robbie Burns Day

If you have Scottish blood you know today is Robbie Burns Day! 


Robert Burns, the pride of Scotland born in 1759 and wrote some of the most beautiful poetry the world has ever seen.


No New Year's Eve would be complete without the singing of Robbie's classic work 'Auld Lang Syne'. Written in celebration of the Pagan holiday of Hogmanay (now known as New Year's Eve). The song recalls the joys of loved ones both near and far.


Robbie's poems ring out of love and adoration for both Scotland and of the world around him. 


Each year, Scots around the world gather on January 25th to celebrate the life of Scotland's most famous son. From dining on roast beef with the works, haggis (a delicacy of sheep innards and oats stuffed into a sheep's stomach and boiled) to oat cakes and of course drinking lots of Scotch!  Men and women wear their clan tartans, listen to the sweet melodic sounds of bagpipes and songstresses with voices that come from the angels. 


The night starts with the piping in of the haggis and a blessing before it is cut open. The 'Kirking' is done in Gaelic and is quite humorous to listen to. Nowadays, more are doing the blessing in English, as the elders whom could speak Gaelic are now in the heavens. 


The evening rolls forward with libations, good food and lots of frolicking. Lively reels and jigs are played and dancing can go to the wee hours. 



A red, red rose
O, my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I,
And I will luve thee still, my Dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun!
O I will luve thee still, my Dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile!

So in honor of the Bard, I raise my glass and wish ye all a "cup of kindness yet" and ye will not be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to drop me a note to say how you liked my work. Please remember that foul language is not appropriate.